This traditionally scented jasmine tea is prized for its sweetness, and delicately achieved flavor balance between the floral blossoms and the delicate tea leaves. Great care and skill goes into producing a traditional jasmine tea. There are five major steps to make this beautiful tea:
1. Plucking: Tea leaves are plucked in early spring when they are at their freshest and most delicate.
2. Drying: Tea leaves are prepared for scenting by either steaming the leaf or drying it with indirect, warm air. Both of these drying processes apply gentle heat to stop the leaf’s oxidation
3. Storing: Once base tea leaves are prepared, they're kept in cool storage until late summer when the jasmine blossoms are at their peak and ready to be harvested.
4. Picking: Jasmine flowers are picked during the hottest time of the summer and at mid-day, when the blossoms are tightly closed against the sun. As they dry and cool, the blossoms burst open and are at their prime for the scenting process.
5. Scenting: The harvested and just-bloomed jasmine flowers are mixed with the awaiting tea leaves in rooms with carefully controlled temperature and humidity. Tea leaves are naturally highly absorbent and therefore make the perfect base to accept the fragrant scent of the jasmine flower simply by coming into close contact with the blossom. The tea base has to be scented for seven times. For each round of scenting, a fresh batch of jasmine blossoms are introduced to the tea base to add another layer of floral flavor.
6. Firing: The final mix of scented tea is then fired to completely dry both the tea leaves and jasmine blossoms so all moisture is removed. Some of the spent blossoms are left in the tea blend; although this would be for appearance only, since all of the fragrance would have transferred from the blossoms to the tea leaves during the scenting process.
The tea is evenly in short needle shape. The liquor is verdant, pure and clear, the aroma is fragrant, the taste is delicious. Rare and exceptional needle green tea is married with intoxicatingly fragrant jasmine tea blossoms. The scenting of the tea is a meticulous process taking several days, resulting in an exquisite cup of sublime, sweet flavor.